Home >Tourne County Park
The land currently known as Tourne Park had been popular for hiking and informal picnicking before it became part of the county system. Originally 226 acres, it currently embraces 546.9 acres, including a wildflower trail with nearly 250 species of native plants. The highlight of a trip to Tourne Park continues to be the view from the top.
The Tourne is the only remaining undeveloped fragment of the Great Boonton Tract, purchased by David Ogden, Colonial Attorney-General of New Jersey in 1759. McCaffrey Lane, which serves as the main entrance to the park, was created in 1767 by Samuel Ogden to haul iron ore from Hibernia's mines to his iron works in Old Boonton. Within this historic region, cannon balls were manufactured for use by the Continental Army during the American Revolution.
The Tourne is the site of sledding in winter, picnics and day camp use in summer, and hiking all year round. Call the Reservations Department at (973)326-7631 to reserve the shelter for your family picnic. Most recently, several land acquisition projects have resulted in an extension of the Tourne to the Rockaway River.