Other Permits

Research Permits

With over 20,000 acres of land and an abundance of natural resources, the Morris County Park System provides ample opportunities for scientific research and outdoor classroom activities. All scientific research and studies must be done in accordance with the Park Commission’s Access to Park Properties for Scientific Research and Studies policy and requires a permit.

When to Request a Permit

Any research performed on land managed by the Morris County Park Commission requires a Research Permit and must be affiliated with a professional, scientific, governmental or educational institution or organization. Activities recognized as scientific research include but are not limited to:

  • Biological surveys
  • Observational surveys
  • Plot sampling
  • Soil, air or water sampling
  • Collection of any object or organism including but not limited to soil, rocks, plants or their parts, animals and invertebrates.
  • Handling of any organism, including trapping or banding activities.
  • Establishment of permanent or temporary plots, transects or experimental area.
  • Use of any location markers including flagging or signs.

Projects that involve any of the following activities are never permitted:

  • Collection of specimens for commercial profit, personal benefit or artistic endeavors
  • Removal or destruction of geological specimens or features
  • Collection of artifacts
  • Construction of permanent structures or establishment of permanent markings
  • Alteration of terrain
  • Introduction of exotic species

Application Process

Scientific research permit applications are available here There is no fee for a research permit. Applications must be submitted at least one month prior to the anticipated project start date to allow time for Park Commission review and issuance of the permit. Submission of an application does not guarantee that a permit will be granted.

Permits expire on December 31 of each year. Permits may be renewed upon submission of the required Annual Report. Permit renewals may be requested by submitting another application by December 1.

Any activity that involves a group of 25 people or more, including any school trips, must also obtain a Park Commission reservation permit.


There are no fees for a research permit.

Additional Approvals

Applicants are responsible for determining whether additional permits or licenses are required to conduct their research and for contacting the appropriate agencies to obtain such permits. Applicants must document that they have acquired the necessary state and institutional permits to do the work they are proposing.

Reporting Requirements

Following completion of the research project, the researcher is required to submit a report to the Park Commission summarizing the project’s goals, methodology, results and conclusions. For research projects that last more than one year, the researchers must submit an annual report containing this information by November 15 of the permit year. The reporting requirement may be waived for school classes that use a park as an outdoor classroom.

Lee’s Marina Fishing Tournament

When to Apply

If you would like to host a Fishing Tournament where your participants launch from Lee’s County Park Marina and/or if you will be doing weigh ins at Lee’s County Park Marina.

Any tournament of 2 or more boats, must apply for a Tournament Permit.

Application Process

The process starts when the application has been submitted.

  • Completed applications and the supporting documentation can be sent to leesmarina@morrisparks.net.
  • Tournament Applications are accepted starting on October 1st for the following year and are approved on a first come first served basis.
  • The Marina only permits one tournament per day.

The completed application will be reviewed.

  • Tournament Applications are due at least 15 days prior to the event.
  • Submitting and application does not guarantee availability.


Daily Launch fees are required by each boat launching and there is a nominal parking fee for additional cars.

Fees can be paid in person or online. Click here to access the online payment system.