MORRIS COUNTY PARK COMMISSION CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATE April 1stWednesday, April 01, 2020
MORRIS COUNTY PARK COMMISSION
CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATE
MORRISTOWN, NJ. On April 1, 2020 the Morris County Park Commission is issuing an update on the previously posted response to COVID-19’s impact on park activities. The Commission is extending the current park/facility closures through April 12th and will be providing a formal updated bi-monthly announcement. The bi-monthly extensions are by no means to be contrary to President Trump’s social distancing guidelines that have been extended through April 30th or current and future Executive Orders by New Jersey Governor Murphy.
In response to Executive Order 107 issued by Governor Murphy directing all residents to stay at home until further notice, the Park Commission is announcing additional park/facility closures and access restrictions in order to be in conformance with State efforts to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
Beginning Friday, April 3, 2020 the following parks/facilities will be added to the list of closures:
- Great Swamp Outdoor Education Center parking lot, grounds and trails will be closed(due to the nature of the trail system, 50% boardwalk and the narrow trails and sensitive natural environment it is difficult to maintain a 6-foot distance between trail users).
- Pyramid Mountain Natural Historic Area parking lot, grounds and trails will be closed(due to the narrow steep trails and sensitive natural environment of the park it is difficult to maintain a 6-foot distance between trail users).
- Central Park of Morris County-Ice Pond/Disc Golf Course parking area will be closed but trails will remain open.
While the Commission wants its park patrons to be able to spend some time outdoors, we need everyone to understand there are restrictions in place and social distancing is required to visit your Morris County Park Commission parks and trails. In order to allow various parks and trails to remain open for passive recreation purposes we need park patrons to follow proper CDC protocol and behavior modifications, including but not limited to:
- Only park in designated parking areas, do not park on roadsides.
- Refrain from using parks or trails if they are exhibiting symptoms.
- Follow CDC’s guidance on personal hygiene prior to and during use of parks or trails.
- Understand that public restrooms are not available but some sites may have portable restrooms (please bring personal sanitary supplies for yourself).
- While on trails, warn other users of their presence and as they pass, and step aside to let others pass.
- All public buildings, playgrounds, athletic fields & facilities, off-leash areas, picnic shelters/tents, golf courses are closed and all programs, permits, and events are cancelled.
- Observe CDC’s minimum recommended social distancing of 6 feet from other individuals at all times. If this is not possible, users should find an alternate location or depart that space.
- Continue to consult local and state health management websites, including the Morris County Office of Health Management website for information, on COVID-19: http://health.morriscountynj.gov.
Park staff will continue to assess daily our operations and consult with the various Health Management institutions for recommendations and possible further changes. We will keep you informed of any necessary changes to our programs. We appreciate your support and understanding as we adapt to this fluid situation. For further information and updates and a list of all facility closures go to www.morrisparks.net and visit our Facebook page. If you have any questions or concerns please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.