MORRIS COUNTY PARK COMMISSION CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATE March 22ndSunday, March 22, 2020
MORRISTOWN, NJ. On Sunday, March 22nd the Morris County Park Commission is issuing an update on the previously posted response to COVID-19’s impact on park activities.
In response to Executive Order 107 issued by Governor Phil Murphy of the State of New Jersey on March 21st directing all residents to stay at home until further notice, the Park Commission is announcing additional park/facility closures in conformance to State efforts to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
In order to allow general purpose parks, trails, and some recreation areas to remain open for passive recreation purposes we need park patrons to follow proper CDC protocol and behavior modifications, including but not limited to:
- Refrain from using parks or trails if they are exhibiting symptoms.
- Follow CDC’s guidance on personal hygiene prior to and during use of parks or trails.
- Understand that public restrooms are not available but some sites may have portable restrooms (please bring personal sanitary supplies for yourself).
- While on trails, warn other users of their presence and as they pass, and step aside to let others pass.
- Follow Morris County Emergency Management “Order Pursuant to a Declaration of Emergency” which has:
- Closed playgrounds and playing fields
- Restricted organized or directed activity in the parks
- Restricts groups size to four individuals(other than family members)
- Observe CDC’s minimum recommended social distancing of 6 feet from other individuals at all times. If this is not possible, users should find an alternate location or depart that space.
- Continue to consult local and state health management websites, including the Morris County Office of Health Management website for information, on COVID-19: http://health.morriscountynj.gov.
Parks and Facilities that remain open are:
- The Grounds of all General Parks & Trails and Central Park of Morris County and Lewis Morris County Park will remain open, but:
- It should be understood that benches, picnic tables, etc. are not be disinfected
- Playgrounds and playing fields are closed
- Lee’s County Park Marina
- Environmental Education Centers; Great Swamp Outdoor Education Center, Pyramid Mountain Natural Historic Area, Elizabeth D. Kay Environmental Center
- Ground & Trails will remain open
Golf Courses are now closed: Berkshire Valley, Flanders Valley, Pinch Brook and Sunset Valley
All buildings and public restrooms are closed to the public including Park Commission HQ at this time for a full list of park closures please visit www.morrisparks.net.
We will continue to assess daily our operations and consult with the various Health Management institutions for recommendations and possible further changes. We will keep you informed of any necessary changes to our programs. We appreciate your support and understanding as we adapt to this fluid situation. For further information and updates and a list of all facility closures go to www.morrisparks.net and visit our Facebook page. If you have any questions or concerns please send an email to email@example.com.