- Water is NOT available, site is winterized.
- RV Spaces MUST be Pre-Paid, no same day reservations unless done so online.
- Same day reservations must be made online before 11:00am.
- Your RV must have a restroom, shower and sink contained in your unit to camp at MDR.
- Our showers will remain closed.
- Tent and Adirondack Spaces MUST be Pre-Paid, no same day reservations unless done so online.
- Same day reservations must be made online before 11:00am.
- Limited to a two night maximum stay.
- Portable restrooms
- Please bring personal sanitary supplies
- Water is not available, site is winterized.
We are NOW accepting on-line reservations.
This is the largest park in the Morris County Park System, encompassing 3,494 acres of beautiful near-wilderness and recreational areas. The Reservation is the park to visit with over 24.5 miles of multi-use trails for novice and experienced skill levels. For off-road bicyclists, discover the challenge and adventure of the blazed biking trails. Horseback riding, seasonal camping, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and softball are recreational activities at Mahlon Dickerson Reservation. Digital trail maps are available online.
One of the outstanding features of the Reservation is the magnificent view from atop Headley Overlook, a 1,280 foot elevation, one of the highest points in Morris County. The Saffin Pond area is a most scenic location to enjoy a day of fishing. The Saffin Rock Rill area offers space for educational programs.
Some of the unique activities at Mahlon Dickerson Reservation include a radio-controlled car track, and model boat racing. All are operated by nonprofit groups comprised of interested residents.
You can’t miss the magnificent view from top of Headley Overlook, the highest point in Morris County. Enjoy the multi-use trails for horseback riding, hiking, bicycling, or jogging. It is also the perfect season for picnics and camping! Bird watching is also a favorite activity. Digital park/trail maps are available online.
Formed primarily as a conservation area, the parcel first acquired by the Park Commission was from Wildlife Preserves, Inc., in September 1960. The park is named in honor of an early New Jersey Governor and State Supreme Court Justice. The property shares its past with the iron mining history of northern New Jersey.
Picnics and Athletic Field
Enjoy one of the many picnic areas to gather family and friends for an outdoor picnic. For larger groups of 25 or more, you may want to also reserve one of the picnic shelters along with the picnic tables. Toss a Frisbee or play ball on the athletic field. Reservations for picnic areas, shelters, or athletic field can be made by contacting the Reservations Office or 973.326.7631, option 1.
Mahlon Dickerson Reservation has several different camping opportunities. There are wooded RV sites, Adirondack shelters, and tent sites. For additional information on the sites, please use the Mahlon Dickerson Reservation Campground App by clicking below, call 973.697.3140, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CAMPGROUND AREA FACILITIES INCLUDE:
- 4 Adirondack Shelters (9’x11’ lean-to) w/picnic tables & fire ring
- 8 Tent sites (12’x12’) w/tent platforms, picnic tables, and fire rings
- 2 Port-a-Johns (1 handicapped accessible)
- Water source (behind shelter #4, May - Oct. weather permitting)
- Information Directory
- Campfire Council Ring w/log seats
- Firewood for sale
RV AREA FACILITIES INCLUDE:
- 18 paved, wooded RV sites w/ picnic tables & charcoal grills
- Maximum RV length 40ft
- Electrical hookups (30 & 50 amp.)
- Water hookups (May – Oct. weather permitting), some sites may require extra hose to reach water hookup
- Heated restrooms and showers
- Open field for lawn games
- Sanitary Dump Station (free for registered RV's) - (May – Oct. weather permitting)
|*RV Site with Hookup||$27||**$162|
**NOTE: Weekly discounted rate requires full payment at time of registration.
***NOTE: Military rate applies to active duty or retired only, with U.S. Military ID. Reduced rate per night, no additional weekly.
|Deposit (one night's stay)||$20-$27|
|Use of Dump Station||$20/use|
|Camping Area Group Council Ring-Group Use||$10|
|Payment by Cash, Check, or Credit Card|
Ground fires are only permitted in the provided fire rings located in the Tent/Adirondack Shelter sites and in the council rings in the RV and Tent areas.
- Bring water to extinguish the campfire and use in the event an emergency.
- Clear the area around the fire ring of all potentially flammable items (dry leaves, sticks, etc.).
- Do not burn dangerous items that can explode, shatter or release harmful fumes.
- Keep the fire at a manageable size.
- Never leave a campfire unattended.
- Make sure the campfire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the site.
The Morris County Park Commission does not issue refunds for cancellations. To receive a credit for future use at Mahlon Dickerson Campground, campers must notify the campground office no later than 48 hours before their scheduled arrival. A credit for any fees paid, less the deposit (one night's reservation fee), will be applied to the household and is valid for 1 year from the date issued.
Mahlon Dickerson Reservation is open daily Sunrise to Sunset throughout the year.
The Campground and RV areas are open April - November
Check-In Time: 12:00pm (Please plan on arriving before dusk.)
Check-Out Time : 11:00am
The Campground Office (Opens May 1st)
Please call or email the recreation department to discuss your reservation.
- 973.697.3140 (Weekdays 10:00am-4:00pm)
- email email@example.com.
- Reservations can also be made online. Click Here
The Morris County Park Commission has recently announced a No Smoking Policy banning all smoking including burning of, inhaling from, exhaling the smoke from or the possession of a lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe or any other matter of substance which contains tobacco or any other matter that can be smoked, or the inhaling or exhaling of smoke or vapor from an electronic smoking device. CLICK HERE for more details. Thank you for your continued support!
things to Do:
* Requires permit/advanced scheduling |(HC) Handicap Accessible
Mahlon Dickerson Reservation 603 KB
Click below for driving directions
GPS Address: 955 Weldon Road, Jefferson Township, NJ 07849